Sail Camp - Club 420 (Ages 13 - 17)
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 3:00pm
Sail Camp - Club 420 is designed for an older age group. The 420 sailboat is a double-handed, heavier and more challenging boat, requiring a certain body size and weight. This program can accommodate all skill levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced sailors welcome! By the end of the week, your child will learn these skills:
- Parts of the boat
- Capsize and recovery
- Steering, body positioning, and sailing mechanics
- Skipper and crew roles/responsibilities
- Launching and docking
- Points of sail and sail trim
- How to tack and gybe
- Basic rules of the road
- Beach landing and safety position
- Proper cleaning and stowing of sailing equipment
While daily Sail Camp structure varies by program, your child will have two on-water sessions per day, including swim breaks, snack breaks, a lunch break, and daily knot tying sessions before dismissal.
*420 participants must be 13 - 17 and must weight a minimum of 130lbs. If your child is 13-15 and does not meet these requirements, please register them for the older Opti beginner group or the Opti intermediate-advanced group. For safety reasons, the only exceptions to this policy is proficiency in sailing a 420 with racing experience.
Each sailor will receive their Sail Camp shirt on Thursday afternoon pick-up. Friday is Sail Camp shirt day - every camper should wear their shirt all day.
SAYC Sail Camp Handbook and QR code sent upon registration. Please read through Handbook and save QR for daily pick-up and drop-off.
Summer Sail Camp FAQ
Once you find a program for your child to attend, here’s how registration works:
For ALL sailors 17 and younger:
- Click the 'Register' button under pricing options.
- Sign up with the sailor’s first and last name, but use parent or legal guardian email address
- Each child will require their own free membership account
- It’s OK to reuse the parent or legal guardian’s email address for multiple sailors
- Once payment is received for a program, a membership account will be created for you that gives you access to your sailor’s profile and course documentation, including SAYCSC Sail Camp Handbook.
- You must sign into your membership account and update your sailors emergency contacts, date of birth, etc.
- Signed waivers and forms can be uploaded via your membership profile or brought to the first day of programming.
Once your sailor has a profile, it becomes very simple to sign up for additional programming, manage your email preferences, check out upcoming events, and stay connected!
For scholarship information, please follow this link.