Sail Camp - 420/Laser (Ages 13 - 17)
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 3:00pm
Sail Camp - 420/Laser is designed for an older age group. The 420 sailboat is a double-handed, heavier and more challenging boat, and the Laser is a larger, single-handed and much more challenging boat than an Opti. Both boats require a certain body size and weight. This program can accommodate all skill levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced sailors welcome. By the end of the week, your child will learn these skills:
- Parts of the boat
- Capsize and recovery
- Steering, body positioning, and sailing mechanics
- Skipper and crew roles/responsibilities
- Launching and docking
- Points of sail and sail trim
- How to tack and gybe (and fly a spinnaker if skill level allows)
- Basic rules of the road
- Beach landing and safety position
- Proper cleaning and stowing of sailing equipment
While daily Sail Camp structure varies by program, your child will have two on-water sessions per day, including swim breaks, snack breaks, a lunch break, and daily knot tying sessions before dismissal.
*420/Laser participants must be 13 - 17 and must weigh a minimum of 120lbs. If your child is 13-15 and does not meet these requirements, please register them for the older Opti beginner group. For safety reasons, the only exceptions to this policy is previous sailing or racing experience in a 420 or Laser.
Each sailor will receive their Sail Camp shirt on Thursday afternoon pick-up. Friday is Sail Camp shirt day - every camper should wear their shirt all day.
SAYC Sail Camp Handbook and QR code sent upon registration. Please read through Handbook and save QR for daily pick-up and drop-off.
Summer Sail Camp FAQ
Once you find a program for your child to attend, here’s how registration works:
For ALL sailors 17 and younger:
- Click the 'Register' button under pricing options.
- Sign up with the sailor’s first and last name, but use parent or legal guardian email address
- Each child will require their own free membership account
- It’s OK to reuse the parent or legal guardian’s email address for multiple sailors
- Once payment is received for a program, a membership account will be created for you that gives you access to your sailor’s profile and course documentation, including SAYCSC Sail Camp Handbook.
- You must sign into your membership account and update your sailors emergency contacts, date of birth, etc.
- Signed waivers and forms can be uploaded via your membership profile or brought to the first day of programming.
Once your sailor has a profile, it becomes very simple to sign up for additional programming, manage your email preferences, check out upcoming events, and stay connected!
For scholarship information, please follow this link.